Friday, August 13, 2010

The day the camera died :(

There we were, in Arahova. It started raining very hard, so the four brothers who owned the hotel we were staying at offered to keep us entertained by giving us free wine in the bar/lobby area. We were all hanging out, playing cards, and eating... and then it happened. I asked Lyndsi to take a picture with my camera, and my finger got caught in the arm band of the camera when I was handing it to her, and it fell. This wasn't the first time I've dropped it, but the lens was open, and shifted when it fell on the floor. This was by far the worst moment of the trip for me. I had a beautiful Canon Powershot that took awesome pictures. Who would've thought, the part of the camera that was supposed to keep it safe would play a part in it's ultimate demise?

This is the picture that Lyndsi was asked to take:
I love these guys, but breaking my camera for a picture = NOT worth it.
The camera worked for about a day after it broke, but then wouldn't even stay on after that.

I completely blame myself for this mishap. I was probably just being careless. But it cannot be taken back. I was camera-less for three days before I got a new camera. Here's just a taste of all the missed picture-taking opportunities that resulted: Treasury of Atreus, Acropolis of Mycenae, trip to a workshop (with a presentation on pottery-making), learning traditional Greek dancing, night of dancing in Nafplion, the ancient city of Epidaurus (including it's asklepieion, stadium, abaton, and theatre), archaeological site and museum of ancient Nemea, wine tasting in Corinth :(, overnight ferry to Crete, archaeologicial museum of Heraklion, venetian lion fountain, ancient palace of Knossos, olive oil factory, ouzo hour.

Thankfully, after ouzo hour, Karey, Joe, and I went on a mission and got me a camera! Just in time for our day-trip to Santorini :)

No comments:

Post a Comment